Monday, October 10, 2005

Gaucho Grill


A friend introduced me to this Argentinian restaurant close to 5 years ago, and with the plethora of places to choose from only get to visit once a year, or less. And now I know why.

This time around, I went with Kevin who has been complaining about losing weight. He mentioned sushi, but I already had that for lunch, and I thought maybe he could have a little more meat in him, so we decided on steak. Their convenient location at the San Fernando Valley makes it an ideal place to eat after a few hours of shopping at the nearby mall.

A few tables with families or couples, this is a good place to relax and just enjoy your company. The open style ceilings, and dividers, disguises the usual dining conversation to minimum. Being seated at a table with empty tables adjacent to us, we enjoyed our time chatting and stuffing ourselves with bread and their delicious concoction of olive oil and basil. Having mentioned the Milanesa, Kevin ordered it for himself, so I, not wanting to have the same entrée (probably because I am used to sharing), settled for the short ribs. Our waiter tried to convince me on having the skirt steak, but I stuck to my decision.

I should have listened to him. The short ribs came with mashed potatoes and three grilled zucchinis (dripping in oil). It was tough, so unlike many short ribs I have had, the ones that fall off the bone when you stick the fork in, and too ordinary. Having said that, it was just ok. And for $16, compared to the fried steak Kevin is having at $12, the price does not give justice to its value. A crock-pot could make this dish taste better.

At least Kevin was with me. I wonder who I’ll be taking to this place next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home