Sunday, October 30, 2005

Chinese Joint at Downtown LA

Parking in front of Hop Li restaurant in downtown LA, Rommel insisted that we dine at the small corner Chinese restaurant instead. He went there a week before and highly recommends this one, especially the flounder with soy sauce.

As we entered, already cringing at the B rating at its window, a cute Chinese boy gave us our menus, which made all of my uneasiness, go away. Having lived here for some time, I became weary of places that would make me sick the next day. And no, I am not over reacting, but if you have heard about all the insider stories happening behind the scenes, you would understand.

I remember the day my dad took me to a local market and forcing me to eat the food served at one of the small eateries inside. You should note that a local market in a third world country is usually dirty, filled with bugs, flies hovering all over and where sanitation is never heard off. However, these are where the best and freshest meat and produce can be found. I have always been picky with my food, so that Sunday after church after bickering about what I want to eat, my father decided to teach me a lesson.
I cried as he watched me force my spoonful of rice and “adobo” in my mouth. It tasted terrible, I think even a chef prepared dish would at this moment, but I learned my lesson well. Mom sneaked me a burger later that day.

Chinese restaurants are everywhere. Usually good, they can’t go wrong with fried rice, but some stand out. We started with crispy rice wonton soup, beef vermicelli, roasted duck, deep fried chicken, salt and pepper shrimp and of course, the flounder. All were delicious. Feeding 3 guys and a granny, taking home leftovers after splitting a $45 check, this one is a gem.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow - sounds like you learnt a good lesson for life - are your flounder as good as our flounder - flounder fillets really push my buttons especially with the right chardonnay :)

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home